Friday, March 17, 2006

Dell Technical Support

I had this problem with my computer on Wednesday night and contacted Dell for tech support last night. My problem was when I restarted Windows, I had an error message come up stating
While initializing device IOS
Error: real mode system memory allocation failed

I'm not into this techno stuff so I don't really understand what goes on. Anyways, I contacted Dell and I was on the phone waiting to speak to someone for 20 minutes and then I was on the phone for an hour trying to 'cure' my computer. This person gave me a few things to do to fix the problem but nothing seemed to work. The person said that if these things don't work, I may have to reinstall Windows.
We had one more thing to try - a technical activity requiring a screwdriver where I had to remove the memory and put it in another slot, or something to that affect. I unfortunately had my guitar lesson so I had to leave.

I call today and had to wait 13 minutes. The technical support person had me restore a registry from a few days ago and this seemed to solve my problem. I probably was on the phone for 10 minutes. I don't know if this was some bandage solution but I'm just happy my computer is up and running.

Isn't that fucking ridiculous? I've had this happen before when I've called Dell's tech support. My first call usually someone gives me a bunch of things to try which don't work and then they throw out the 'you'll have to reinstall windows' bullshit. I then call a second time because I think I'll probably find a better technician since I don't believe in reinstalling windows. I end up having my problem quickly solved with none of this 'reinstall windows' bullshit.

Dell, what is with this inconsistent tech support? Are your technicians receiving adequate training? I appreciate the fact that I can use their technical support but it would be better if the knowledge level was more consistent.
Dell maybe you should change your slogan to: Helping people on the second call.

No comments: