Sunday, May 02, 2010

Wedding Time

Greetings all,

I had a wedding to attend last night for a relative. I had wrote a while ago how I went to the Bride's shower, whom is not my relative. She had rubbed me the wrong way as we were leaving at her shower. Not sure exactly what happened but I got this vibe she was some control freak. Since I am a free spirit, people like that sometimes get me riled up.

My mother had told me on the wedding invitation that it said to arrive at 5:00 PM sharp and that actually aggravated me. It's interesting how one little word to me conveys the mentality of the Bride. I can understand saying 'Reception at 5, Dinner promptly at 7' but to tell us to arrive at 5 promptly.

OH
NO
YOU
DIDN'T!!!

I was cleaning up my apartment on Friday night and only did parts of it. I usually clean my apartment once a month and I think I didn't clean for 6 weeks so it was quite messy. I ended up having to finish cleaning it on Saturday and then I had to remove the hair on my legs. I use one of the electric hair removers that pull it from the root so it takes a bit of time. No it doesn't hurt and it's really the best thing for me to do. I used to have laser done but ever since I moved out, I was not able to afford the cost as it can be expensive. I do have bald patches on my legs but I probably could have a few more sessions done to permanently get rid of the rest of my hair. As well, I normally don't remove my hair in the winter unless I have to and this was one of those "I have to" occasions. I had these 2 things that I needed to do and I didn't want to feel rushed to do them. I was in a bad mood too. I felt like I'll show up when I'm ready, not when you tell me!

I didn't get to Hamilton until 5pm and we probably didn't get there until 5:45 because I had to get dressed and slap on some make up. I'm one of those smart women that can get ready quickly. I don't drag out my prep time! Now I don't know if the Bride was saying they start at 5pm prompt but I got the impression they expected us there at 5pm. There was a long line up to greet the bride and groom.

I find these things so boring now, especially since I don't have a date and just chat with relatives. I'd probably have more fun if I had a date that I could have meaningful intellectual discourse because I just end up getting bored. The meal was drawn out until 9.30 or 10 pm. I would rather eat faster and party longer. It was done at 1 and it felt like the dancing portion went by too fast. I at least enjoyed the later part of the evening since I danced with my cousin-in-law.

The Bride had a best friend of over 10 or 20 years and the first thing her best friend described her as was 'what she wants she gets'. This is not the first thing I would want my best friend to describe me. I don't know the bride but this was just another piece that made me think she's some type of control freak. Usually you would describe someone first as they are really nice or are kind and funny or smart. The first thing I wouldn't want to be identified, especially as a woman, as someone 'what she wants she gets'. Certainly there is nothing wrong with setting goals and achieving them. It's not an 'open to life' mentality. More like 'bend to my will bitch' mentality.

Her speech about her new husband (my second cousin) was very practical and logical and dry. His speech was heart warming and sensitive and he was getting emotional. I would think that if I were describing my new husband, I'd show some vulnerability and open up emotionally how I felt about him. I guess not everyone is like that. They were high school sweethearts as well. His older brother got divorced a few years ago from his high school sweetheart because she fell in love with another man while going to school. I should hope the same thing doesn't happen.

I think it's weird that people marry their high school sweetheart. I guess they are lucky in a sense but they don't really get to experience and explore other people. I guess maybe relationships wasn't a karma they had to sort through?

They are 5 years younger then me, so they are 26. Already have a house and have good jobs and seem to have their lives together. So I felt a little down about last night but overall, it didn't drag me down too much. I have had some of my book group friends in Dundas tell me their mom didn't have kids and marry until 40. I know they were trying to cheer me up but I sure hope I don't have to wait that long to find the right man.

It bothers me to think that while I'm still single and doing things on my own, people younger then me or my age have someone they can share and build their life with. That's what I want too and sometimes I wonder when it's going to happen to me. I make the best of my life and keep active but I still don't understand why because I feel I deserve a meaningful relationship. It doesn't bother me as much because I just have to keep focused on my life and what I want. It's the whole concept of keeping up with the Jones. They have a house and a relationship and I want one too and it's not fair that they have one and I don't. Oh well, just gotta keep my eye on the prize!

I had been joking around with my mother as well as to what they would say at my wedding because the Bride's parents talked about the couple. I want my mom to praise me and to say that I have a profound level of compassion for humanity.

I don't have a best friend either so I am wondering who I would get to give my speech. I have some good friends I guess I could ask them to talk about me.

No comments: