Friday, April 02, 2010

This Ain't Art Asshole!

Greetings all,

I had went to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) last Sunday as I had went to see the King Tut exhibit. I went with a friend and we had a chance to see other exhibits. I saw this one piece of 'art' and I was just irritated. We were on the modern artists floor and generally I hate that sort of stuff because what many of these modern 'artists' create is not real art. It's shit. Bullshit. I'm no art connoisseur but I can appreciate art and I know good art when I see it! This was not good art.

This is the piece that really pissed me off:



Here is the description of what the artist intended to do with this creation:



Okay, now I agree with the concept. I totally get it. The sink fascinates you and you want to express that artistically. I get that, I really do. What a great concept!

The 'art' he created is not true art. Art by definition involves being creative. Being creative usually involves imagination and imagination involves taking something that exists and transforming it into something different.

All this lazy asshole did was get some giant board, crazy glued a sink to it and spray painted some black around it. That is not being creative. That's just what we call another day at Home Depot!

If he had say destroyed a sink and then made a mosaic out of the broken pieces, then yeah I'd say, that's some interesting shit. But you can't take an object and glue it on something and claim it's art. It's not!

No transformation had taken place with this piece.

Back to the drawing board Jim!

No comments: