Sunday, March 21, 2010

Don't Touch Me

Greetings all,

I went out on St Patrick's day with some of my coworkers. Most of them are mid 20s. We used to go eat lunch together but they don't really eat with us anymore and only a couple of us have lunch together. These people would actually want to work through their lunch, since they are so busy. This makes no sense to me, because legally we are entitled to breaks and we don't get paid for lunch. I like these coworkers but it's quite naive to work all the time. I think it actually de-enhances your productivity and performance.

Anyways, one of my coworkers who I tend to regularly eat with is 38 and I think he probably has a thing for me. We sometimes meet up with other coworkers from a different floor, but for the most part we just eat by ourselves and sometimes one of the coworkers joins us. At my last job, I would eat lunch on my own in the kitchen but I would go out for breaks with my coworkers. At least where I work, we don't have an actually place to sit and eat so we go either outside or at the food court.

So there are 7 of us who went out and I had to leave and do some research (which I never got around to). The problem with going out with young people is that they are so indecisive and take forever to get going, especially girls.

I had to eat something as well and that took time to prepare. We were supposed to leave at 5 and didn't leave until around 5.15 and then we didn't find a place until 6 since we checked out a few places and waited in line for one place which we actually never went in (they had a long line and there was a cover charge)

I wanted to leave for 7 but I didn't get to leave until just a bit past 8 and as I was leaving, the coworker who I think probably has a thing for me (who is sitting next to me) and the dialogue went as follows:

Me: I'm leaving now
Him: (annoying voice) why? (poke)
Me: I have work to do
Him: (annoying voice) why? (poke)
Me: Because I have to
Him: (annoying voice) why? (poke)

This exchange broke the comedy rule of 3 as I think he did this to me 4 or 5 times, thus being extremely annoying. The whole dialogue aggravated me and I didn't want to be around him the next day and I didn't have lunch with him as I decided to eat outside whereas he and another coworker went to the food court.

I was cool with knowing that he probably had a thing for me, which I am not willing to reciprocate but he took it to the next level - the level of flirting. The poking took me to another level of aggravation because I don't like people touching me and his poking was a physical gesture of interest. Since I didn't like him like that, it pissed me off. I don't like hugging people and I only do it if they are the hugging type because that's how they like to show affection for people. I only like to hug my mother and boyfriends.

No comments: