Monday, February 02, 2009

Just When You Thought it was Safe

Greetings all,

I had my book group meeting on Sunday night and was feeling a bit relieved and letting out deep sighs of relief due to the roommate moving out by 2pm yesterday.

I began cleaning up her dishes and put the chain lock on my door, just to feel safe from her.

As I was in the middle of my cleaning, around 10pm the ex roommate barges in and breaks through the chain door and insists she still has the right to be there. She tells me she is going to have a party as well.

Honestly when I looked back at this it feels like she is one of those monsters in the movies that you kill but really you never quite killed them and they come back after you.

Like honestly, why are you coming back. Leave me alone, you have a place.
Does she really think she can get away with having another party???

So I ran downstairs to talk to the supers but they said I had to call the cops as she is not on the lease. I did call the cops and as I took the elevator down to see the supers, her dog gets with me in the elevator and eventually the ex roommate comes down to get him and she is yelling at me how I am crazy.

I waited a while for the cops and this time 3 showed up. I told them the situation. I am not happy that these people really can't help me and they didn't even write up a report. I think the female cop was more sympathetic towards me then the one in charge. They say she still has access rights because of her deposit but honestly nothing of hers is left besides her food, which she is taking her sweet ass time picking up.

I have met someone online who's been in my situation so he is giving me the advice that I can take legally. I also have another friend who is a regular reader giving me advice as well on this situation. So it was good that I had people to talk to. I talked to this guy late last night as well so I really appreciate him telling what I can do and to stay calm.

I got my locks changed today, although I am still required to give her access. She came into the apartment 3 times, one of which I wasn't around and when I came back I saw that my shower curtain was closed and I knew I left it open. I knew it was her. It was unbelievably sick and twisted to me. Like from the movie Sleeping With the Enemy.

I told the supers what happened as well and apologized for disturbing them. I really just didn't know what to do because I felt invaded and this person thinks its okay to do what she is doing when it is not.

The guy I was consulting was saying I need to get her to sign a notice but she was demanding that I give her cash, which I explained that I would be willing to give her deposit after inspecting for damages and that I'd give a cheque.

He said that since I've tried negotiating with her, then I can just send a form to get the legal process started to get her evicted. The form is called N4. It states that she is required to give me rent for February or give me a signed notice for when she is terminating her tenancy. He says this should be enough to get her to write a notice and she will lose her rights to the deposit.

He gave me 2 copies and we mailed them out tonight. She should be getting it at her work place by Wednesday.

I barely slept last night and probably had 3 hours sleep. I feel better though that I changed the locks. The guy said though I still have to let her in but she probably doesn't come for too long and seems to focus just on getting her stuff so really it's in her best interest to get more things and leave since she does have access but it's controlled access. Also he said if she calls the cops she'd have to produce a contract that she lives there but she'd only do that if I denied her access which I am not doing at this point since I am allowing her to pick up her things.

She even had the nerve to knock at the door of our neighbor across the hall (whom I mentioned helped her a couple of weeks ago move some of her boxes). It was between 10.30 to 11pm and she kept knocking at her door, wanting her neighbor for support as the cops talked to her. The female cop definitely did some eye roll or at least very subtly so I could tell she thought that was lame and the neighbor as well looked very tired and like she was being forced.

When I spoke to the supers as well I was told the neighbor across the hall recently lost a good friend. I don't know why the ex roommate had to bring this innocent bystander into the process when this issue is between her and I.

So not cool!

I told my parents this situation and had them watch my place as I went to get my lock rekeyed and my dad just thinks I should give her the deposit. At this point I either go big or go home. I tolerated this bitch's abuse and tauntings during January and I am not about to give up now. I will teach this girl a lesson and do it the legal way.

If she thinks she can do what she pleases, she is wrong. There are contracts and procedures to follow. The guy I was talking with says it might be easier to just give her the deposit because of the mental stress it is costing but already in January the stress I had was worth more then $250. I either should have given it first thing but now I will put up a fight because it's not right to me. She's stressed me out already so it doesn't matter if it's prolonged.

I also recorded her tonight as my other friend suggested. She kept telling me to stop taping and she would come after my camera but I told her it was for my lawyers. I think I would like to post it on you tube but would have to blur out her face for legal reasons. It was quite funny and empowering for me to tape her. I brought the chairs for her left behind from the patio table, a stack of papers left in a bag, dog toys and a cup by the door for her and all she took was some small bag of food and I was encouraging her to take the rest of her things which I have on tape that she is saying no to and that she will take what she wants.

I don't think I need more footage as I don't want to antagonize her too much.

2 comments:

Stephan Scharnberg said...

Ah, it's sad she still puts you through all this. Yes, don't give up. You're almost there. As your friend said, remain calm. It sounds like you're doing everything right: recording evidence, filing the papers, letting the Supers know what's going on, following the legal trail, taking the high road. Not only is she certifiable, but now she's coming awfully close to stalking and tormenting. She must get some weird, twisted kicks from all this.

karlthebunny said...

I once heard a marine make the comment, "Is this the hill you want to die on?".

Yes there is the principal that she'll get away with not being adult.
But is that your responsibility?

There is also the notion that for a small fee, not out of your pocket since it's her money, that she will be out of your life


forever.