Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Like Being Right

Greetings all,

I have been attending this one meetup group where they discuss various spiritual/emotional type topics and a topic a couple of weeks ago was on would you rather be happy or be right because you can't be both. Okay in all honestly, I am willing to trade some level of happiness to be validated as right. Like maybe 2-5% of my happiness, just to bask in the after glow of being right.

The group leader made an important point of pointing out that when you are right, you are only right for the moment and then you are back to being unhappy, but if you choose to be happy, then you will always be happy.

I don't know for me, but I'm just not ready to be happy all the time. I'm comfortable with having a certain level of unhappiness because I probably don't know any better and I'm okay with that. And I don't think I like the idea of being happy all the time. I can't help sometimes to get a little angry about things or get frustrated. I am human after all and this wanting to be happy all the time non-sense, is just too much pressure for me. I just want to be real and honest with myself all the time or as much as possible. Screw this happiness crap!

I could argue as well that I am happy when I am right but I don't think that is true. Well I think it's true some of the time. I am actually quite pleased when someone who is wrong actually eventually realizes that I was right and then tells me so. It's no fun to pester people about you being right, it's more enjoyable when they come to say that you are right on their own. I delight in seeing people evolve and to me I see it as highly admirable when you can admit you are wrong (and thus proving I am right)

I sometimes think there is a problem with not being willing to stand up to someone who thinks they are right when they are not. I guess I am a bit of a fighter so I don't mind saying something that makes people uncomfortable because I still have this love for the truth. I don't realistically go around always defending what I think is truth (my idea of truth is if I can find it on wikipedia)

I see a whole flaw in this contrast of either be happy or be right. I really don't think it works like that all the time. Maybe some of the time.

I think if you are always willing to back down on being right when you are, then it just opens the door for people to take advantage of you. I think like most things in life, you have to decide which battles to fight and which ones to walk away from. I've walked away from some, but others I just won't. Somebody has to stand up for what's right and speak out when someone is spreading lies or causing harm.

BTW, I can admit to when I am wrong and do so when I realize the error of my thoughts and/or actions.

1 comment:

Stephan Scharnberg said...

Happiness is over-rated.

The happiness industry is trying to sell people a load of manure. They are in cahoots with the self-help peddlars and the New Age movement. This current idea of pushing happiness and fun in the public school system is misleading many of us, and stunting and deforming child development and messing up teens and adults. This has actually been growing steadily the last couple of decades--since the late 1960s-early 1970s, it's origins with the Hippy movement, Buddhism--which is inappropriate to the European/Western mindset and soul--and other do-gooders. There is the onerous belief that everything always has to be fun. Soon enough, children and a lot of society believe this and come to expect it.

And ... I don't like the idea of choosing between happiness or being right. What a silly idea. But, if I have to choose, give me "being right" over happiness any day.