Monday, July 31, 2006

I'm melting

Damn you bloody heat!
Damn you to bloody hell!

It's hot, bloody hot. There's a heat warning. Great time for economists and politicians to push that whole global warming issue.

Anyways, I'm announcing that I plan on shaving my head bald for Labour Day weekend. What is motivating me you might ask? I've never been bald in my life and probably never will. It will be an experience. My hair grows fast too so it'll probably take 6 months before my head looks presentable. What's 6 months of looking a little weird in comparion to my possible lifespan of 85 years?

In my study group, we finished reading Anthroposophical Leading Thoughts. Usually in the summer we'll do art like paint. Last year we did the Platonic solids using clay. Or we'll read random lectures. I started reading some Steiner again. I haven't really been reading much of his work for several months. I've only sporadically been summarizing the chapters of Philosoophy of Freedom. I've been focused on other things. It's good to get back into my own personal study. I read other books all the time but I always find his work to be more stimulating and challenging.

I went to the library last week and saw one of those women who's wearing that religious outfit where their entire face is covered, except for their eyes. I forget what they are called. I am not threatened by seeing people wearing that but when I see a woman like that, it upsets me. I see that outfit as a symbol of female repression and as anti-female. If you want to wear a head covering, I don't care, go for it. But I just don't see how this extreme behaviour of covering your face has anything to do with being humble. Let's be honest and real. Some religions are sexist and unfortunately there are still countries that see women as sub-humans. Maybe this woman naively believes that she's being humble but maybe she doesn't realize she looks and is treated like a second class citizen. I'd like to have the courage to start a conversation with someone like that to see where they are coming from.

I saw this program about a Muslim community on a local station several months ago. The Mosque must have been in Mississauga but it was discussing how women aren't being treated equally in this Mosque... which is in Canada! You would think here in Canada the Muslims would be more evolved but this group in Mississauga seems to be one big old boys club. The Mosque had built a separate room for the women and they no longer felt part of this community. The documentary also featured some other Mosque I believe in Alberta. No where in the Koran it said women had to be treated like this. I believe it did say the women were to be behind the men during prayer but not that they had to be in a separate room. The men's behaviour was extremely childish. I don't know why these women tolerate this. The men just really wanted to keep the women out. It was ridiculous the sexism that is pervasive in that religion. I find many religions to be sexist anyways. I don't support any organization that doesn't give women the respect they deserve. I don't care if you are Muslim, Catholic, whatever. Most religions teach that being loving and respectful to others is what is important. Human egos create all these other ridiculous rules that end up taking people further away from the 2 simple truths of love yourself and love others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The covering is calleda burka.

karlthebunny said...

I've never worn the full body get up, but I'm not arab.
It may be "sexist" it may not.
I have worn a Kilt, which as cold as it gets in northern Scottland, why they'd naturally chose an open skirt is a mystery to me!)

I noticed you were complaining about the heat in one entry.

Back in my younger years, I traveled to Germany where one of the younger sons of my host family was pro Soviet and anti Capitalist.
(I visited the Berlin wall on that same trip.)
He was disgusted with us Americans, (which is popular, and not totally unmerited) for a number of reasons.
One which he mentioned was our habit of using our cars to get around.
Now, this is a cultural thing.
He lived in North Germany.
The sun doesn't set till 11:30pm in the summer and gets light by 4:00am.
Most European towns were built based on the main means of transportation of the times, the human foot.
(Thanks to General Motors, we lost many of the trolleys and public transit the Europe enjoys.)
And he had never experienced 100 degree f. temperatures. (33c)
In Texas, the latest it stay light is 9:00 or so in high summer,and older and younger people die every year due to the heat.

He can not know this never having been here.

I have been told that the women in the desert areas of the world wear the full garb for a number of reasons.
It helps keep them cool.
It is of a religious nature.
And it protects the skin from the ravages of the sun.

That's my two cents.