Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup and the Italians Rant

Okay. Let me start out by saying my parents are both Italians and so that means it's okay for me to be derogatory towards Italians. (or this is just my own excuse)
Anyways, I decided on Saturday night to use that window paint on my car. Well actually it's not paint it's more like this coloured washable polish. My parents have been busy cleaning up the garage and so they found this box of paint polish I got from this place I uased to work at 3 years ago. I was inspired to paint the car windows since we had 3 colours: white, green and red, which happen to be the Italian flag colours. So I paint on the side windows so as not to obstruct my view. I did the other side and then I was inspired to write (because hey I enjoy writing. I'm not really a graphically inclined individual) and so I did. I wrote Italians do it better and then on the left bottom bumper I write Eh! because hey, I'm a patriotic Canadian. Then I felt like writing on the right bumper Bush U suck ass. My dad saw what I did and got upset at me and he stated that I shouldn't mix politics with sports. I almost felt 'bad' for insulting the US president but that quickly went away. All my happy feelings of self expression disapated due to that comment. Who wouldn't want to be supporting a sports team and criticize a politician at the same time? It's efficient.
I chose to wash the Italian flags the next day because I realized that I actually didn't care about this whole World Cup thing anyways. My writing was gone so my parents probably washed that off.
I know I'm 27 and I'm getting reprimanded for expressing myself?
Loki is untameable!

I actually thought Italy was going to lose. Why? Because Italians can be little pussys. I thought they'd lose and then complain how it was fixed and how there were people who didn't want them to win.

I had to go to my study group and there was traffic and I had to drive around these fans so that I could get to where I needed to go. Not everyone driving was celebrating Italy winning and some of us actually had to use the road to drive. I know crazy isn't it?

I saw people who didn't look Italian celebrating in cars. I should know because I can usually spot Italians from non-Italians. It's like gay-dar, only it would apply for spotting similar nationalities. Like nationality-dar. I think these people really just wanted to drive up and down the city to honk their horn and just needed some excuse. They probably had a France flag in handy just in case France won.

I actually harbour some dislike towards Italians in general. I don't understand this whole celebrating my cultural ethnicity. I was born and raised in Canada and so I can only muster up feelings for Canada and not for Italy. My parents play the Italian music at home (among other music), they speak Italian 35-40% of the time, we eat pasta, my mother uses plastic to cover the furniture. Clearly I've been influenced by the Italian culture but I don't have any interest or romantic feelings towards the country. I'm also a first generation Canadian. I don't romanticize Italy. I've only been there once but I really don't identify with the country.

I like the term paesano (which means country man. Paesana is the feminin). I've called a couple of people my paesano but that's because it sounds good and I like the word as well.

1 comment:

karlthebunny said...

Buonjourno!
Comme via?


I hope you have taken advantage of the native speakers.

I spent my final semester of college in Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy.

We were "little America" in town, so unfortunately I didn't live with a family (as I wish I had).

I could have learned some more of the culture and language.

Prior to going, I didn't think much of Italy or Italians.
But I am glad I didn't let my ignorance keep me from learning.

My experience was Italians are loving, gregarious, creative people.

I want to go back! (And buy a villa!)

My French is getting mixed up with my Italian in my head...

Is it

Parlo Italiano?

(The Spanish speakers in our group had the advantage of
Already knowing a second language
and Spanish being similar to Italian.

Ciao Bella!