Friday, May 20, 2005

I had my last class yesterday for this 9 week general home maintenance course I took. I enjoyed the overall experience. I have no inclination to go into trades but I thought it would be good to learn the basic skills so that if I own a house in the future, I can do repairs. I hope to retain the information that I learned. There was a lot of hands on work so I think that would make it easier to remember what to do. The topics covered include carpentry, electrical, drywall and plumbing.

It's the long weekend here in Canada. I don't have any major plans. I think I will help my mother plant flowers. I read in a book that planting can be a meditative type activity. Even sports can be meditative. Anything really can be meditative because it depends on how you do the activity and the mental focus and mindfulness with which you do the activity.
Yes folks that means even eating ice cream can be mediative.

I think I need to learn to be less direct sometimes. I'm pretty honest and to the point but I think I need to relax sometimes and not be so damn strong willed. I think because I am strong willed I use that to solve problems and try to plough through but maybe it helps to relax. There's just a few areas where I think this is relevant for me. Sometimes I think we all make things hard for ourselves by doing too much and sometimes doing less is more effective.
I woke up realizing that this morning that I need to chill and not be so forceful with my will.
To use a metaphor; it's like I'm yelling at a seed to grow faster when my yelling does nothing so if I just take care of it and not worry so much about how it grows and maybe nicely encourage it to grow big and strong.

I have been doing chi kung (or qi gong) for just over a month and have been enjoying it. I got this nice dvd from www.taichi18.com and it's this effective 10 mins routine. It's a free dvd and you charge for shipping. Well techically they overcharge for shipping because it only cost them 85 cents to ship it and they charged me $8 for shipping. But it's still good and I recommend it to people. I did the routine for about 20 mins every day and on my fourth or fifth day I felt deeply relaxed about 2 hours after I finished doing it. I went to my hairdressor that day and it was funny because I kept commenting how deeply relaxed I was. My skin is also improving and I haven't been breaking out much. My skin is softer too.

That quiz I took the other day is kind of silly. It makes this statements based on what kind of animal you choose for the questions they asked. Frankly I hate quizzes but do them anyways. I hate them because there are not enough options. I think for the first question I didn't know what animal to pick because none of them I like but you have no other choice. Well I don't place much value on them but they amuse me somewhat.

Thanks for reading my blog folks.

No comments: