Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year

Greetings and Salutations Fellow Humans,

I wish all a happy new year. I have been working. I worked yesterday and I volunteered to work today. My shift is from 1 pm to 9.30 pm and I normally have Sundays off but we are required to work a certain number of holidays. I will never volunteer on my day off ever again. I appreciate the fact that I live in an affluent country and can have days off but I feel cheated because I am working an extra day. I am not a fan of the 40 hour work week to begin with. I value my free time. I brought a new book along and read that for a bit. So I enjoyed that.

I had planned to attend 2 New Year's Eve parties, only to have one party get cancelled on Friday because many people were sick. The other party, I found out got moved to another location and I was not informed of this. I do not like driving from one end of the city to the other, getting snacks etc, for a party that isn't going on. I luckily had a back-up plan and went to visit a friend. We ended up watching a movie. A romantic comedy with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon. It was so predictable.

One question that I wonder is do people really believe that there is something wrong with you if you are single and over 30, especially if you are a man? Or is this just a myth created by the media?
Jimmy's character was a man over 30 who was seemingly nice and normal. Drew's friend questioned that there must be something wrong with him if he is still single and over 30.
I'll be 3 Cubed soon and I'm single and I don't know when I'll find the right person, but there is nothing wrong with me. I'm a great catch. Dare I even say that I'm too good and that that scares off guys or shall I say the boys that aren't mature enough.

Being single doesn't mean there is something wrong with you. Is that something people believe? Or is this a myth created by Hollywood? I think I might believe this idea to a certain degree. I have 3 brothers all over 30 and they are still single. And I know something is wrong with them.

I really want to see movies in the mainstream not end happily. I want to see movies where the couple don't stay together. Hollywood you are so formulaeic and cliched, it's lame!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Sorry you arrived at 10:20 pm and there was no one there. However, as I explained, there wasn't any option.

You told me "Due to my rising popularity, I've decided that I'll be able to attend your new year's party by 1.00 am as I have also been invited to another party."

Now, when I found out that Laura couldn't make it, I didn't want her to spend New Years alone. We were able to contact Cory, and decided to have the party at Laura's place.

I stayed at home until after 10:00 pm - waiting hours - for any stragglers. I wasn't about to hang around until after 1:00 pm on the off chance someone else was coming.

I couldn't contact you, as I don't have a cell #. I sure as hell wasn't about to put a note on my door telling any passerby that I would be out for the evening. Call me paranoid.

So, my options were: Make Laura spend New Years alone, spend New Years alone myself, or move the party over to Laura's house. I chose the latter. How was I supposed to know that you other party had been cancelled? I did everything I could reasonably be expected to do.

Paula said...

I understand that part. It's not fun being alone at New Year's, unless of course you want to be alone. I'm not arguing for that. I already stated that I was arriving, though at a later time because I wanted to hang out with my fellow improvisors. I don't have a cell phone so an email would have been sufficient. I had to work as well so I would have arrived earlier if I could and this whole situation would have been avoided! Happy New Year's anyways!