Saturday, October 01, 2005

Back to Earth

Greetings and Salutations my fellow Terrestrial colleagues,

My anthroposophical vacation has officially ended on the 18th of September (attending my study group doesn't count... I just haven't studied Steiner's work for 2 months). I started reading RS's Study of Man. This is the older translation. The book also has a different translation entitled The Foundations of Human Experience.
Steiner introduced a new methodology for education and helped to launch Waldorf Education. See North Americans are primates as far as I am concerned. Rudolf Steiner is more well known in Europe, particularly in Germany (he is Austrian).
This book I'm reading is for teachers. Obviously anyone can read it but it talks about the 12 senses. It's kinda weird and I've had a bit of trouble getting back into my studies but reading about the 12 senses is really neat. Reading anything of RS is neat. I wish more people knew about him but I ultimately realized that I don't care if everyone doesn't know who he is. As long as he gets respect. I think the scientific community and general population will take a few more years before they have the mental capacity to give props to Steiner.
After I finish this book, I'll start on his more conceptually harder to understand book entitled Towards Social Renewal. I read it 2 years ago I think but I didn't really get it. He talks about his idea for a 3-fold social order. It's really demanding to understand it because you really have to be able to sharply define concepts that are based on reality. For budding thinkers, it's a challenging place to start! A huge problem in education and society in general is that people speak abstractly and particularly when it comes to economic, political and social issues.
Anyways, he wrote this book around 1900s. He lived from 1867 - 1925 but his work and ideas and observations are still relevant for today. So when I read it, I try and see how it relates to me, a female Canadian living in the year 2005, an age of information, television, media and celebrity.
My study group has decided to start reading RS's Theosophy. This is one of his earlier works. It's an easier read then the book we finished before summer (Intuitive thinking as Spiritual Activity aka Philosophy of Freedom).
For those who wonder why the hell does Steiner have 2 names for some of his books. Well his work is recorded in German and sometimes it gets translated by different people. I don't know why they give such differing titles but isn't that the nature of the German language?
I respect Steiner so much but I always wonder what he was like when he wasn't lecturing and just being a normal person. Did he like sex? Did he like desserts? Was he friendly? Just silly things I wonder about. Actually I'm just more curious about him sexually. I guess I always wonder what people's sexual thought are and how they relate to sex, particularly when they are so highly intellectual and intelligent. I think sex is good. I guess I assume intellectuals are not that interested in it, that they are more interested in mental pursuits.

I finished learning the Wild Goose second 64 movements. I didn't quite clearly grasp doing the last 2 sections but my mind just doesn't seem willing to get it. I've just picked up on bits and pieces of the last 2 main moves. This is harder to learn than Wild Goose I (the first 64 movements). It's harder because when I watch the video, I have to think about moving like a mirror. So it looks like he's lifting his left arm, but really it's his right and so then I have to reverse what I see when I'm watching and also the direction since it is a moving qigong.
Well maybe in a month's time I'll be able to be more clear on all of the movements.

Lately I have been wondering who I am. I feel like I don't know who I am. This question about who I am is always something that I'll ask myself but it feels like I've never asked myself this question, although I have. So I am living with this question "who am I?".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I am what I am."
- Popeye