Thursday, July 24, 2008

Roughin' It

Greetings and Salutations,

I went to Montreal last Wednesday evening until Sunday for the Just For Laughs festival. I signed up to attend their first Industry conference. I actually never got around to seeing any shows. The conference was from Thursday to Friday and they had various information sessions.

They also had a session where you could have lunch with a person in the industry along with 3 other people. I had lunch with the VP of Content at Fox. I thought she was nice and cool and enjoyed hearing her talk about her experience at Fox and hearing how she has to listen to pitches and what she's looking for.

I also got to meet Colin Mochrie from Whose Line is it Anyways? I am a fan of his and I saw him twice on the Thursday but didn't have the nerve to go up to him. I saw him again on the Friday and again didn't have the nerve. He was a speaker in one of the sessions about improv and I went up to him afterwards. Ryan Stiles was there, another favourite of mine from WLIIA. I went up to Mochrie and told him I was a fan and that watching the show inspired me to do improv. I asked for his picture and I managed to get a picture with Stiles and Mochrie.

On Saturday the conference organized a ball hockey and basketball game so I signed up for the ball hockey game. It was artists verus industry. I was the only female on my team and the other team had one female as well. We ended up winning but was losing in the beginning. We managed to tie it up and then we kicked ass and won (I think) 18-6. I wanted to score a goal but didn't, although I had a few shots on net.

On Sunday I decided to visit the Canadian Centre of Architecture. I visited Montreal 5 years ago so did some sightseeing then. I managed to get the museum for 15 minutes so I was disappointed because I enjoy looking at architecture things and the interesting designs they come up with. It's kinda like geometry shapes to me and I'm a huge fan of geometric shapes (hence my like of platonic solids).

I enjoyed the stuff they had last time but this time it was crap. They showed some stuff about London and Tokyo and I thought the style they were going for in Tokyo were bland and generic and seeing the style of buildings was too cold for me!
They also showed the design process of the Ontario College of Arts (OCAD) and Design that is in Toronto. I thought the building was hideous and ugly and didn't think it was pretty. I saw some nice buildings in Barcelona that had some artistic merit but this building for the OCAD was vile. And it cost well over 30 million to make!

* * *

I've hit a really important point in my qigong practice. For the past week and a half week I've been either crying during my practice or after my practice. I've also been practising twice a day for about 3 times this week. I decided to not do that too often because there is such a thing as crying too much.

I know that the crying is for my own good because it is a sign that my practice is clearing up blockages. I'm experiencing alot of inner pain but I know it is something I have to go through. The tension in my head is improving as well and the tense spots in my head area are relaxing more and I think that's because I've held onto certain emotions and I'm letting them go through crying.

I'm usually someone that doesn't like to cry and I sometimes will try hard not to show that emotion but over the years I have been becoming comfortable with myself that I let myself be vulnerable and open to pain.

I'm not sure why I am doing all this crying and have so much pain. I haven't had a particularly painful life. One of my personal beliefs is that of reincarnation. As an anthroposophist, Steiner has discussed the concept of reincarnation. I was skeptical about the idea but hearing Steiner's ideas about it made sense to me so it is something that I believe to be true. I think perhaps in some life I must have been wrongly accused and probably persecuted because I feel so much anger towards things and feel a certain desire for justice. I'm hoping eventually things become clearer to me and I hope that this period of my life goes by quickly.

No comments: