Monday, December 26, 2005

Reality TV

I must admit that I like reality tv. I don't watch much tv but since I've been off the past 3 days, I've allowed myself to vegetate in front of the television. I was watching The Surreal Life. I've also enjoyed watching Big Brother (BB) this season. I watched BB the first time it aired and it was so lame and yet I continued to watch it. Everyone was all nice and saccharine to each other. This was because it was the audience who decided who was going to get evicted. The following season they decided to adapt some show techniques from Survivor and decided to let them vote each other out, making the show somewhat more palatable. I think I just followed the first 2 seasons and maybe caught an episode here and there since, but this year I actually followed along the whole season. I think this year's season was one giant metaphor of what's wrong with America. It was a microcosm of the macrocosm. The people ended up splitting into 2 groups, the self-righteous people who stated they played the game with integrity but in reality all they did was trash talk the other team and the regular intelligent people who knew they were flawed but didn't act all self righteous. And then there was the floater guy who attempted to pit the 2 sides against each other. A Senator if you will.
The winner of this show was one of the people from the self-righteous group. It was eerie because this person really believed she played the game right and that her 'team' were good people. I see this as a representation of what's wrong with America because the intelligent people allowed themselves to be duped by the self righteous people. They believed that when the self righteous people said they were going to follow through with the plan that both groups decided on (i.e. they both agreed at one point in the game to oust the Senator, however when the self righteous people had power, they went against their word and voted against someone from the intelligent group).
The key fact that the intelligent people ignored about these self righteous people is that they are delusional. They will always think they are doing what is right when in reality, they are just out to please themself and only take care of their own self-centered needs. People like this are not trust worthy and yet these intelligent people in their naivety, placed their trust that these people would follow through with the agreed plan.
Again doesn't this sound a little familiar America?
Intelligent people naively and falsely trusting the untrustyworthy?

Other reality shows I have watched and enjoyed, include The Surreal Life and America's Top Model. When I first saw commercials for the Surreal Life, they just paint the participants as such washed up losers but when I watch the show, they seemed like decent humans. Well some of them were weird, but I could see through to their humanity inspite of their highly eccentric or self centeredness behaviour. I don't understand however, Omarosa. She seems highly sociopathic. She says this is her new profession - to be an actress for unscripted television. So it seems like she sometimes plays an evil and villanious person and she sometimes plays a nice person. Omarosa, you got issues. If you think people watch you for your outlandish behaviour and can't stand you if you are being yourself and being 'real', then woman you've just issues and you need to reassess your life.
I also liked America's Top model because models to me are something I personally despise and it was interesting for me to watch, because I could see their humanness, they weren't just pretty faces. Sure many of them were not bright but there was the odd one who was and some of them had a sweetness to them. My feelings of despise had been greatly minimized. Models are people too.

I must confess as well that I enjoy watching the reruns of Pamela Anderson's VIP show. That show has such lame plots and it's so unrealistic but for some reason I find it entertaining. And I like Pamela. She doesn't seem stupid in real life but she plays a ditz in the show and it's funny. Maybe I like it because the show doesn't take itself seriously. I don't watch the show often but if it's on, and I'm in the mood to watch television, I will watch it. It is a mystery as to why I like this show.

1 comment:

karlthebunny said...

Zelda is not interested in "Reality Tv".
It can be cruel.

I watch occationally. I also have preferd shows.

What I see as wrong with America, (and I am guessing you mean that large country just south of Canada, and north of Mexico) is that people such as Omarosa make it to "stardom" in the first place.

If it is the same woman, and I think it is, she got her start on "the Aprentice" where she was useless.
One would hope she'd have been too embarassed after her first shot at 'fame'.

She's like the "she bangs" guy from American Idol. Or pet rocks.

Anyway...

There you have it...