Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Save me from the furniture

My parents are homebodies. They just spent some of their inheritance money on furniture like a sofa and one of those television cabinets. The problem is there is enough clutter and excessive furniture in the house. My grandfather passed away this year and my granny moved into a retirement home so we got some of her furniture. We got their dresser from their bedroom and other useless nitnacks like fridge magnets and dishes and towels. My parents have our old sofa out in the garage and we now have a tv cabinet in our kitchen.
I told my mother we have more furniture in our house than a furniture store.
I told my mother that they need to get rid of stuff and simplify. I reminded her that when they die, that I don't want to be the one to have to clean up and get rid of their excessive - and useless I might add - possessions. She knows what a pain in the ass it is to deal with people's stuff when they die.
I often use death as a motivator in my life.
When I was in high school, I had a crush on this guy who was 2 years older then me (I was in grade 11). Our school had some event where we could send roses to people for Valentines Day. There were 3 colours, one for love, one for friendship and one for a crush. So I had one sent to my crush and for months I wanted to ask him out or talk to him or something but I was too scared. Soon June arrived and since he was in grade 13, I figure I have to tell him that I sent him the rose because I'll never see him again. I passed his locker and chickened out but I saw one of my friends in the hallway and told her I wanted to tell him and I received enough confidence to go up to him to tell him.
My god he was tall and hot.
So I went up to him and my hands are shaking and my palms are sweating and my voice is shaking and I'm extremely nervous.
He asks me why am I shaking.
I was too focused on what I needed to say and so I told him it was me that sent him that rose. He asked me which way I was going. Although I figured out before where he goes for his classes and I knew which class he had and where it was, I actually responded that I was going upstairs, in the opposite direction he normally goes.
It took me a while to realize afterwards that that was his way of being friendly and maybe something could have happened between us.
What motivated me to tell him that I had a crush on him?
It was because I thought that I don't want to let fear keep me from living.
The teenage years are an intense period.
The thought of possibly dying without telling this guy whom I had a huge crush on and whom I so adored was too painful. He consumed my thoughts during school and after school. So this is how death motivated me.
Death still motivates me today.
I don't want to waste my time getting angry over things or being fearful of things that never happen.
I don't want to die with unfinished business.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm my comments mysteriously don't show. Yep I think most feel the same way about dying with unfinished business. I guess some don't take the steps necessary to ensure it doesn't happen.

It's a good thing that most furniture isn't hostile :)

-Puff-

Unknown said...

Hmmm ... death as a motivator eh? I'm mostly motivated by cuddles and head scratches. The occasional back massage works too.

Melody said...

I had a crush in high school too...I sent him cards and little tokens in the mail for almost a year. I finally told him who I was at his graduation party (I was 2 years his junior). I'm glad that I did but it took lots a guts and a couple of drinks to do it. Those were fun times.

Jude said...

Ooooh it's NOT fun having to go through an entire household of furniture and "stuff" when someone dies. It rather sucks, actually, and is a lot of work when you're in the least frame of mind to be doing it in the first place.

Hi I'm Jude and the Complimenting Commenter sent me! I'm glad he did too, your blog is hilarious! So from one Canadian to another, break out the toque and longjohns honey, winter's coming! ;)

Anonymous said...

Visiting by way of the CC

LOL...I think my daughter might feel the same way...(as I start moving furnature into her room to make room in the rest of the house)

CT said...

furnature sucks, especially when you don't have any... LOL

Sheri said...

Great post! Over here from the Complimenting Commenter.

Very nice writing!