Sunday, April 28, 2013

Separate Bills

Greetings all,

I did a meetup recently where we went out for ramen, which is basically Japanese soup. I found one place online that was fairly new in the city and from the review looked like a cool place. We had a good time but when I asked for separate bills in the beginning they said they didn't do that. There was 9 of us so by the time the bill came, it was a nightmare calculating it because it took so long and people had to wait until others were done calculating their amount. It almost worked out but we were short $10 and we figured because one guy who just stepped out to pay his parking was probably short because he didn't factor in the taxes for his alcohol.

I think I felt embarrassed because I want things to go smoothly and I think everyone was enjoying themselves but then we have to deal with the stress of figuring out what we owe. It took away from the experience in my eyes. We went to a bakery nearby where we had coffee and we got to pay separately so the night ended on a positive note.

I thought about what I could do as an organizer and thought should I be calculating people's bills separately? I will be the one responsible if there is a shortage and I have to take charge since it's my group. I talked about it with a friend and it seems other organizer just don't go to restaurants where they do not do separate billing. I think I will do that from now on. The bill is definitely the finishing touch on the night and if it is stressful, it ruins the night and people do feel resentful if they pay extra, even if it is a small amount. I do not want to fund someone's fun, especially if I don't have much money to begin with and also don't order a lot.

As far as I am concerned, I am sick of these restaurants that don't do separate billing. To me it's part of the experience of dining out and to have the customer have to figure out what they owe just makes it stressful when they should be the one doing the heavy lifting.

Restaurant owner and wait staff, hear out this message. You are here to serve your customers and give them the best dining experience. Your job is to make our lives easier. That is why we come out to eat at your establishment. If you choose to not do separate billing, people like me will no longer want to dine at your establishment. You are in the service industry so provide a service and do not do a half assed job. Being able to get separate checks is part of the service that we receive at your restaurant and wanting separate bills is really not an unreasonable request.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Stephan Scharnberg said...

Hi, to give you another perspective, from "the other side of the table", although it might be "hard to swallow!": [Disclaimer: Years ago I was a waiter in a German-cuisine restaurant on Vancouver Island]. I don't know the rules and etiquette of eating/dining out in Toronto, but here in Vancouver, the etiquette/common practice is that a party of eight or more makes a reservation, even in establishments that usually do not require reservations. That then is when to ask about their policy regarding separate billing, although many establishments will NOT bill separately if the party is, again, eight or more. Businesses consider it a time-consuming hassle to run and print eight or more bills. Generally, not even establishments that have the latest in computerized billing systems, like the idea of separate billing for large parties. Separate billing is disliked by many owners, establishments, and staff (who have no say in an establishment's policies, and are commonly paid lousy wages, as the businesses expect their staff to make their money on tips).