Sunday, July 04, 2010

Free Hugs!

Greetings all,

One of the improv missions we did yesterday was the Free Hugs mission. They have been doing this annually for several years and I decided to participate in this. Basically it involves having a sign saying 'Free Hugs' and you randomly hug complete strangers that you meet on the street.

I had made my sign on Saturday morning and was in a bit of a rush as the night before I went out and was dancing the night away so I didn't get to sleep until 3 am. I had to be at the meeting place for 3 so I didn't have too much time to doddle as I like to take things slow on my days off. I had decided to use a coloured bristol board and then use blank paper to cut out the letters. I just cut them directly from the paper, not outlining them. I was improvising! For some reason, I had a hard time making the letter G. I don't know why but my brain couldn't figure out how to do it and I had to write out on some scrap piece of paper how to do the G and I had to think about how it needed to be cut.

I am not the hugging type actually. I have read in a book a while ago, called The 5 Love Languages about the different ways people show love and hugging (touch) was one of them. I am more into verbal affirmations. The others were spending time with them, doing things for them (acts of service) and giving gifts.

This was actually a bit of an awkward experience for me but I like the concept. The concept of having a sign and giving random strangers hugs. I was definitely out of my comfort zone yesterday! We broke up into smaller groups and we made our way to the Yonge and Dundas Square. Our group was fragmented at times and I think we should have worked together more as a team to be effective.

Three guys were topless and had on their chests Free Hugs. Most of the people that come out to these missions tend to be in high school. These topless guys didn't get too many willing people to hug them and it's probably because no one wants to hug topless males, although some people were willing to be photographed with them, probably because they found it humourous. One of them had boxer-brief shorts so he just looked like an ass. And I think one woman that saw him just had a shocked look on her face. Most people don't want a hug from someone where their junk is just a little too visible.

A couple of the girls were more outgoing and so they were more successful in getting hugs. I think that's the key thing. It's like selling and you have to be a bit more outgoing and encouraging to the passerbys. Being that I hate selling, I wasn't really being that aggressive in getting hugs. I basically held my sign and would hope someone was open to hugging or I would be by the go-getters and get second hand hugs.

Obviously, you have to respect people's boundaries so if someone didn't want a hug, you don't push for it. There were many polite declines but there were people who were happy to get a hug. I certainly think being more encouraging helps.

I had wanted to do it last year and but didn't because I had other plans. I was a bit scared about hugging creepy people and perverts but hugging someone only takes a few seconds and everyone needs love in this world, even the creepy ones!

I had participated in the hugging for an hour as I had plans for a barbecue that night. I think the group probably was doing it for 1.5 to 2 hours, which I think is a bit long. I think the enthusiasm wanes a bit by the time you do it for an hour.

I think if I were to do it again, I'd probably feel more comfortable but it was a good experience, although a bit frightening at times.

No comments: