Friday, June 04, 2010

G20 Summit

Greetings all,

I've been hearing alot of the G20 summit that will be happening at the end of the month in Toronto mainly from work, however today I was reading about it in the paper and there are plans to have riot police and riot horses. This is really happening in my country. I feel Canada has a certain innocence and purity and seeing how they are prepared, is taking away that purity. I should hope nothing happens and that if things do get out of hand, it doesn't end up bloody and violent.

I don't think it will get out of hand, but there are probably other people from other countries coming to protest. Most Canadians don't seem like the riotist, violent type.

For the week before this weekend meeting, some people will have to work from home or we have to relocate at another office. Our office is located downtown and just outside the area of where the summit will take place. The company is a financial insurance company, so they may be a target (I doubt it though) but they want to take the safe road, which I can understand. If there is an explosion or any violent acts, I certainly wouldn't want to be around.

I'm one of the people that will have to relocate and they said they will cover any extra expenses. I will have to drive to work because it is east and quite a bit north. If I were to take public transit, it would probably take an hour and I can't deal with that!

I gave blood today and some people were talking about it. No one really seems to know what exactly they will be discussing. I did some brief research and so Canadians can't really complain about the cost of this because other countries have hosted it too and it's our turn to host. Still, I wonder if anything productive gets done at these things or if it's just a really expensive social gathering for the economic world leaders.

No comments: