Thursday, April 24, 2014

Why Be Hatin' on Hello Kitty?

Greetings all,

A friend of mine on facebook posted Avril Lavigne's new video Hello Kitty. Lots of people complained how awful the song and video is but I think these people don't understand that it probably was made to be a silly video. Why do regular people forget that these people are artists and sometimes just want to put together a silly and funny video, without it necessarily having to be amazing?

I actually like it and think it's very colourful. I find it funny too. Many people were overreacting and called her a racist but it wasn't racist at all. The asian back up dancers were just like dolls and it made sense. I don't get the hate but it reminded me of how my favourite Canadian musician did a similar music video but he wasn't criticized because he's not terribly famous. He spent a lot of time touring in Japan and other Asian countries so he probably got influenced by their culture. I think Avril probably had the same experience and wanted to do something based on her own time there. It's not racism but it just goes to show, people want to be miserable and unhappy. If you don't like the song, don't listen or watch it. I'm not an Avril fan, I find her annoying at times but I can relate to how artists are and where their thinking is coming from since I used to do improv and comedy and am creative so I can relate to just wanting to be experimental. Avril has proven herself and has been in the industry for a long time. She can do what she wants!

I can like a song even though the artist is not a favourite but I guess other people are more intolerant and once you don't like an artist, you just don't like them at all.

The other thing is the public doesn't like when artists branch out to do new things or try different sounds or looks. They bitch how they want the old musician back. People want the old Avril in her beginning but even when she came out, people hated on her and complained how her image is all manufactured. People say they liked her back then but even back then they didn't. They just liked her old image when they see this new one.

Artists are meant to explore different styles and looks and people shouldn't get so upset about it. I like the video due to its silliness. At the end of the day, it's just a video and people need to chill out.

Hawksley's We Dance to Yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJdIuAYpHY

Avril's Hello Kitty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkY3Quj8BSA

No comments: