Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Positivity sucks

This whole 'movement' of being positive makes me feel like I can't share my frustrations in life or my problems because I don't want to be perceived as a downer or negative.

I've mentioned before that I've always had issues with this positivity movement and the 'create your own reality' nonsense that is touted a lot in the new age movements.

I think this is now just another reason why I dislike it. Years ago we were supposedly all repressed and needed to release and vent our frustrations. Now we have to be positive and can't release our frustrations. Isn't this just the same thing, the same form of repression?

Are people really that brainwashed that they can't accept the truth of how they feel? I can still pursue my goals. I don't always need to be positive. I just need to be consistent and focused.

Please don't tell me how to feel or that feeling down is not right. All feelings are right. All feelings are valid. Even the negative ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you got the wrong sense of being positive.

Being positive doesnt mean denying a problem . It means dont look at any problem worse than it already is .

Being focused on end outcome is suggested because it keeps us motivated to pursue them.

LCB said...

I don't really understand what's "positive" that isn't as things are. I mean, what is, is, and is, how it is. So how can that be "positive"-ised, truthfully? I suppose, and I think I just realise I need to think of this a lot, the best way in dealing with your life is to be ready to look for the truth in everything, including yourself, AND then be ready to deal with what is mundane, what IS probably not wonderful, what may be awful (perhaps consistently). That's I think the best thing to come out of the advice to "life positively" - be realistic and train yourself in thought to be able to truthfully identify what is and how it is, and cope with that without being untrue.

I used to know this. I'd forgotten. Your post is really helpping me, through this stimulation. I hope this helps too. I'm remembering - at one point I called what I'm writing one of THE big truths of life. The second part was, don't let the false positive brigade get you down, but you can try maybe to show them this wisdom. The next part was, that, in good sight and ability to deal with whatever, well, life IS positive. (For me rooted in knowing this world has a meaning concurrent with Christian meaning in eternity, though I'm not Christian.)

Good wishes. Cool to find your blog today by chance (though, perhaps by chance, using 'Next Blog' button on Blogger, I remember I've been here before also, a couple of months ago, so I follow you by random chance).

LCB said...

Oh, last part was, if you can't deal with things, after the bad truth you've worked out, knowing it IS the truth, that's OK. It is a time. Or if you get to the truth, and, separately, things are too awful or mundane anyway, it's OK. Things are how they are to you. That's the most important thing.

And if you could deal every time, you'd be in a fairy story, or wouldn't need to live your life. And even if you can't more than that, or even often, you are who you are. Yeah, so, as the first commenting person said, the positivity then is in acceptance, or the angle of how you view it. But it always ought to be true. Don't "forge" a positive bit. Maybe you need so much positivity, maybe more would be bad.

I'm realising that getting away from the true analysis bit can be devastating for life. Even if you can't accept things or "deal" after that, the truth is essential.