Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Health Journey - Part 2

Greetings all,

I also am seeing a nutritionist and did a food diary for 5 days. This was a few weeks ago and 2 of the 5 days were days where I didn't eat well. I started the journal on Saturday. A big mistake to start on the weekend! I went on a hike and to the beach with friends and ate so much cookies and junk and pizza! The next day I had a baby shower. An Italian one and obviously they had lots of junk food and cookies. I normally don't eat much cookies anyways but these 2 days make it seem like I eat it a lot.

I also had to answer this health questionnaire and it basically groups symptoms and it gets repetitive but I think it's a technique to figure out what systems are out of balance.

I saw my nutritionist last Friday and basically according to this health questionnaire, I have low thyroid, low adrenal and pituitary. Also it states I have candida and toxic metals like mercury and copper. This questionnaire isn't scientific but it is based on the symptoms I described. I may or may not have candida or toxic metals but it is possible.

She gave me a list of supplements to take, which I have to do for 6 weeks.

Diet wise, I am low in protein, low in fiber, low in essential fatty acids and high in refined carbs and sugar. I have low water intake, which I don't think I am that low since I do drink water in between meals. I have low vegetables and fruits intake.

I normally like to drink gingerale but I have noticed it has 20g of sugar in a glass and so I switched a week ago to carbonated water because what I enjoy the most is the bubbly sensation. This is one way I am cutting back on sugar. I have plain water during the day and I want to mix it up texture-wise and drinking carbonated beverages gives me that bubbly sensation I enjoy.

I am also cutting back on the sugar consumed for breakfast. I also normally was eating organic bread with Nutella and now I am eating quinoa cereal that I make myself. I researched quinoa and I might not continue with eating quinoa cereal. Basically I am to eat more protein and I can just switch to organic bread with almond butter, which has more protein then Nutella.

I have many supplements to take for these 6 weeks. I have to take a buffered Vitamin C product and this brand is only dispensed by naturopathic clinics. It has many minerals in it as well. Another product not available in stores I have to take is an Adrenal product that has some vitamins but also Adrenal Tissue from pigs. I am taking twice a day Vital Greens, which is basically a liquid drink with various 'super foods'. I have to take probiotics at each meal, which I'm not too keen on. It's costing me plenty of money to get all these supplements and probiotics is expensive. I am still taking them but if I were to take the amount as requested, I'd be going through a bottle every 5 days and they cost around $30 I believe.

I am to take omega 3, which I took during the winter. To increase my fatty acids consumptions, I am also to take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. I learned about coconut oil last month and use it to make my popcorn, which I use on the stove top. I put the coconut oil in my coffee in the morning.

For my brain I am to take non-GMO soy lecithin. I am not sure if I will continue with soy because many people seem against it but I will follow the protocol for now. I can get lecithin in other forms like sunflower.

I am to take a homeopathic rememdy called Silicea 30CH and also supposed to take protein scoops twice a day, which I think is a little excessive. I have to take a multi-vitamin as well.

To top it off I have to eat 3 cloves of garlic or 1 small onion every day. I can put the garlic in my salad. When I first started, I tried to eat 3 in one meal but it was too much. I am starting with 2 cloves. I'm not too sure about garlic either because I read in some people it causes brain fog.

I am not sure when I will see the naturopath because he is supposed to give me a homeopathic remedy to help with my system overall. I am not too sure about homeopathic medicine but I'll try it out.




No comments: