Thursday, July 02, 2009

Not Always 'On'

Greetings all,

I'm quite annoyed as I was speaking to someone who posted an ad looking for presenters. Since I have improv and stand up experience, I mention that in my cover letter and I got to speak to the person today.

The person thought I was reserved and was expecting someone more gregarious. This is not the first time I met or talked with someone who expected that someone in comedy to be more outgoing.

The reality is, yes I am reserved but I'm not reserved all the time and sometimes enjoy being on stage and being gregarious. I am not always on and I get angry as well because I know I am funny and a good performer but because I am reserved at times, people will just judge me on that.

First of all, I think these people just go on this stereotype of how funny people should be. We are not always outgoing and many of us can be quiet and pensive. I think if I were to be outgoing and joke all the time, I would feel like I am not being myself and not being authentic. I try to be myself and sometimes I am cautious and sometimes I take risks and do strange things.

I'm not going to change who I am but people need to start changing their perceptions of how they think someone should be.

People are always full of surprises so stop having expectations of how you think people should be.

No comments: