Friday, April 24, 2009

Independence Day

Greetings all,

Today I was talking to my mother. I usually call my parents a few times a week or my mother will phone me. I moved out of my parents back in August 2007 but today I think was the day my mother officially realized something profound, that many empty nesters eventually come to realize.

I was telling her what I was up to and then she said to me that I don't need her anymore. She has come to realize that I am independent and that I can take care of myself.

I think this is a good sign because now we can consciously have an adult relationship with each other, not based on me needing her but as adults.

I told her (I am a bit twisted) that she now should end her life because she has nothing going for her. Plus it will entitle me to some inheritance money and I sure could use some money.

Today shall henceforth be known as Independence Day as it marks the day my mother has acknowledged that I am Independent and no longer need my parents.

1 comment:

Stephan Scharnberg said...

Good for you, one of life's great milestones.

I remember my Independence Day--way back in late June 1981, the day I skipped out on my parents and my little Red Neck town, Duncan, B.C., on Vancouver Island ("Drunken Duncan, armpit of the Island!"), and skipped my Grad ceremony too, heading off for Germany for the summer! I've never regretted the day, and I have a good adult relationship with my parents.

I'm sure you will too, very soon you'll notice the changes in your parents' relationship to you.