Friday, December 26, 2008

Hissing Fit

Greetings and Salutations,

I have been visiting my parents for the holidays and ever since I moved out last year in August, my parent's cat hisses at me. We bought her about 12 years ago and she usually just hissed at my twin brothers since they didn't live at my parents when we bought her.
It was love at first sight for me when I met Sally. I was the one that picked her out at the SPCA. She still is the most beautiful cat in the world and no cat comes close to her beauty. But like many cats she doesn't like affection and is quite aloof. It breaks my heart because all I want to do is hold her and love her but she won't let me.
When I lived with my parents she would only hiss at me if my twin brothers were around to visit for dinner, which was usually on a Sunday. She would hiss because she was already stressed by their presence.
But ever since I have moved out she hisses at me. I don't understand where all the hate comes from. Is it because I left her alone with my wacky parents?
Come on Sally they are not that bad!
I love her so much and wish she would stop hissing at me.
I still would pick her up to hug her even though I was allergic to her but that's what I do for love. I don't care how much she causes my eyes to water. And now for over a year and a half I deal with this rejection.
Love hurts.

2 comments:

Stephan Scharnberg said...

Hi,
Interesting about your cat. We have cats--two Tabbys (9 year old male named Kitska; 6 month old female named Sophia). In my feline experience, your cat's behaviour is not hate (maybe a little bit of rejection). I'll venture to say, it is quite natural and not uncommon for her to act in this manner. It sounds like it's a matter of hierarchy and being the house protector. If you live there--you are higher in the hierarchy, you move out--you're much lower down the ladder. Cats are very big on hierarchy. And, they are often even more protective of their household and human providers than dogs. It's that simple.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2009!

Paula said...

But she doesn't do it to my other brother who moved out as well a few years ago!