Sunday, August 27, 2006

Yeah for Materialism!

I've been the materialistic whore this weekend. I ended up buying myself a laptop. I was aiming for under $900 but threw caution to the wind when I realized that I would be happier with a 17" monitor versus a 14.1" monitor. My current laptop is a 17" and so I think once you go big, you can never go back.

I also took Friday off and drove to Toronto with my parents and their new Buick Lucerne. Bulky mo-fo, if you ask me. It's 13" longer then the Malibu I drive and I'm not sure exactly how much wider it was but it certainly felt a bit wider. I wanted to check out this store called Zara which I learned about in this book called The Wisdom of Crowds. My parent's new car is also equipped with OnStar for free for one year and this was an excuse for us to test it out.

Let me tell you OnStar sucks ass. There are 4 Zaras in Toronto (there are currently none in Hamilton) and I chose the one on Bloor. Since my parents are sheltered people and generally do not go far or to many places other then the market, the gym or Italy, they can not fully understand how I felt when I was trying to express how horrid the directions were. If they were more familiar with Toronto, such as myself - although I claim no expertise - they would be able to participate with me in complaining about how stupid OnStar is.

Let me say it again.
ONSTAR YOU SUCK ASS.
ONSTAR YOU PROVIDE INEFFICIENT DIRECTIONS

We were on QEW and around the Erin Mills exit, I decided to ask for directions. I figured I'd give myself ample time to contact OnStar. How it works is you speak to a live person and tell them where you are going. I think there are other things they can help you with but we were only interested in directions. You can have them give you all the directions at once or they tell you step by step as you progress towards your destination. The live person programs the system and then when you're done with them an automated voice directs you.

First instruction was to stay on the QEW for X number of miles. As I got closer to Toronto, it told me to take Highway 2 (i.e. Lakeshore). So I did that. This is where it confused me. It said to stay on the right. Then a minute later it tells me to turn left on Jameson. I ended up missing my exit because there was no time to change lanes and then we had to contact them again.

Onstar was better off in telling us to stay on the Gardner and get off on Spadina. Anyways if you are considering OnStar, please don't. You are better off using a map. Poor directions. It's always better to stay on the highway then to drive through the city to get to your destination (in most cases).

I ended up buying a top at Zara. I wasn't feeling the style of clothes there so I'll probably never go again. Maybe I'll consider going to the Yorkdale one. It was uber busy though and I had to wait in line to try my shirt and to pay.

I also won some ebay auction yesterday for a Green Day calendar.

I've just been all spendy mcspender this weekend.
It is unusal for me.

It was also the first time I drove with my dad. I was a bit nervous because my father is critical and somewhat judgemental. I know when I drive with my mother, she'll correct me if I don't signal for a lane change. I'm a good driver but really sometimes I'm not going to signal every single time I move, especially if no one is around. Signalling is to communicate to other drivers what you are doing. If none are around, why signal?

Well after the trip my dad did say I did good.

I will also be starting a new job tomorrow. A real job! A job I found by myself! There is 2 weeks of training. I hope to have a good experience there. I have been temping in between so as not to get so bored. I finished my census job back in July and had some assignment from the agency that would last for the summer. I was still looking for work and had a couple of interviews and so I am glad that this worked out for me.

My future feels like it can take a new direction at any time.
I hope good things start happening to me because I deserve it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paula, what happened to Circles? What's the new job? Best of luck with it.

Paula said...

Yeah Circles didn't work out. Did some temp work. Did some census work. Did some more temp work and now I have a job.