Monday, June 08, 2009

Hating the 'Rents

Greetings all,

Sometimes I just don't like my parents. They are really different from me in many ways and sometimes I just don't connect with them.

Being that I am unemployed and still seriously job hunting, I get frustrated that my dad had it easier then me. He immigrated to this country when he was 23, knocked up my mother when she was 18. He managed to get a good paying job, considering he only had grade 3 education.

By the time he hit my age - 30 - he already had 3 kids and a house and a good paying job.

I don't even have that and I am not even close to having that!

I am a fucking genius who failed Mensa by 1%. I have never had a really good paying job and have had to struggle to find a good job. I want to be a comedian and here I am making nothing at this point.

I don't even have a boyfriend.

All I have is an upset uterus that wants to fuck men and have babies but I keep telling it to wait and relax.

It isn't fair! I have the will to work too so it's not like I can say I am lazy and that is why I am not having a good job.

I think my dad would collapse if he was born in another generation.

It really just boils down to luck.
And anyone that says anything about hard work is probably living in a bubble. Even if you work hard, that guarantees nothing.

I've done more and put more effort in work then he ever has but I am not even remotely ahead. He comes here to make a better life for himself but all 4 of his kids struggle to make it. They probably want us to be happy and successful but it really doesn't matter what a parent does because at the end of the day, we all will fend for ourselves.

I fucking hate you guys sometimes!

3 comments:

Stephan Scharnberg said...

I don't know a single person these days, either in my generation (I'm born 1962) or anyone younger, who has it as (apparently) easy as our parents did. And I work with a wide range of men and women, of all ages, in both my jobs. What your and my parents had doesn't exist at all anymore--that world and reality has permanently disappeared in the last great wave of unemployment and lack of jobs right when I was graduating from High school in 1981. It's another reason I high-tailed it for Europe. There was nothing here-- jobs in the forestry sector were then already drying up and disappearing (my dad was a tree planter for almost thirty years).

Then, dads could support the whole family, most moms were homemakers, people bought less, went out to restaurants less frequently, bought a lot less "toys", didn't have credit cards, didn't "own" stuff on lines of credit or payment plans, didn't have all the expensive electronic tools we can have today, as everything was pretty much cash on the table. The dollar was much closer to actually being worth a dollar, the ratio of living costs to income was much better and fairer. Life was simpler.

And, I agree with you that hard work doesn't guarantee anything. But it's not a matter of luck either.

My experience tells me that the economic and hidden powers are so one-sided and overwhelming now that everyone struggles, unless you get rich to the downfall and detriment of others, legally or illegally, eventually getting caught by the law or the taxman or fleeing to some tax haven like the Bahamas. But for that you can't have a conscience.

I couldn't buy a house until six years ago when I was 40, and then an old fix-me-up with boarded-up windows, just at the last moment because prices went out of our reach within four to six months. I didn't get married until I was almost 41 (after we committed to the house!)(although I have a 16 year old son from a previous common-in-law relationship--ah, the mistakes we make--although I do love my son very much--the Child Support is costly too, but worthwhile as it's for his living costs). And, who can afford a family of more than one or two children these days? We do all fend for ourselves. And, at the end of it all, unless you've socked away loads of money (RRSPs or under the mattress), you're fucked again as there will likely be no pension or retirement savings plan like past retirees could expect from the government!

I don't even own a cell phone, we have one car (luckily a good one that will last up to one million kilometres on its original diesel engine), I use transit and bicycle everywhere to and from my jobs (Vancouver is fucking expensive), buy most my clothes from thrift stores, pay cash, never use my one credit card except in an emergency. We save up a couple of years at a time for the next big vacation. No cable TV--just rabbit ears; no internet at home as I use the one at work. A lifestyle of thrift--just to make ends meet. My only luxuries are books and a laptop.

I know, this sounds pretty damn depressing. I couldn't do it without some knowledge and insight into some higher power, some great cosmic plan. Anthroposophy and writing save my butt every day.

Paula said...

I know of 3 people my age or younger all of whom have good jobs and have a house.

So I really don't get it.

Paula said...

The funny thing is my parents went on some church retreat yesterday in quebec so my mother actually phoned me a few hours after I posted this (they don't know I blog). I don't really hate them, I am just getting super frustrated with finding work.