Monday, August 27, 2007

The Harsh Reality of Singledom

Greetings and Salutations,

In this post I will be discussing singledom and its harsh reality.
I have for the most part of my life been single. I have had a couple of relationships that were over 8 months. One being for over a year I think. It was my first relationship and probably my worst!

Most times I date someone and it lasts for 3-4 months.

Many people seem to think that being single is great or they will tell me how important it is to be able to be by yourself.

Let me tell you it's not fun. It's not fun to always look to yourself to figure out things. It's not fun to go to social events by yourself. It's not fun during Valentine's Day. It's not fun when you're always surrounded by people who are in relationships. It's not fun knowing that you essentially are facing this life alone.

Let me also tell you that I think it's not fair that someone like me has endured years of suffering as a single person. I am proactive in my dating life but no one I find is compatible for my personality. I don't think it's fair that people younger then me find someone and are happy. I don't think it's fair that some of my older friends have found each other in their early 20s and they are still happily married.

I think this whole being single is good for you because you get to learn to be alone is a myth. I can have my solitude and still have someone. I don't need to be alone to figure out who I am.

I don't mean anything. I'm not loved. I'm not important in anyone's life. I'm nothing.
Love from my mother or my friends doesn't count. The love you get from someone when you are in a relationship is unique and I don't have it.

I usually like to be optimistic but I'm forced to accept that I perhaps will be a spinster and that if I haven't found someone by now, I may never. I'll always be this amazing people who never found someone.

4 comments:

karlthebunny said...

I can relate.
Zelda was out of town Sunday thru to today.
Sunday was the hardest because I missed her.

You may not care, but I never had a serious relationship till marriage.

The longest I had seen someone was three horrible months right out of college.

I dated.
I dated a lot.
I really dated, a lot.
Many many different women.

But didn't find anyone.

None of them "fit".

If I liked them, they didn't like me.

If they liked me, I didn't like them.

Never "clicked" till Zelda.

I was 38.
***
Even when you are with someone, you can still feel alone.

Being with someone just to be with someone sucks even worse.
***
Could be that today you will meet that special guy (or girl depending on your preference) and hit it off.

You just never know...

Paula said...

Thanks Karl,

At least you know what it's like to be alone.

karlthebunny said...

Oh, I'd say we all do...

Zelda lost her first husband over the span of two weeks 16 years ago. (They were high school sweet hearts.)
My brother is losing his wife of 9 years to a brain tumor.

I think you would be surprised at how many of your male readers would like to meet you.

Blogs are a good way to meet people. Z and I met that way.

I'm sorry you are feeling lonely...

In the mean time, go out and have some fun!

O Newhouse said...

It is non of my business, but your eyes might have caused the trouble.

You found books - and plenty of them - gave you solace and it could be a behavioral thing with altered eyesight.

So keep your hopes up and work on your prescription - you already halved it. I do hope that your behavior will go along and make a new you but it may take time.

Embracing 'divadom' could be a good medicine but could be just the other side of your altered habits.

I found that people who don't see well naturally tend to overwhelm themselves with goals.

But here is a thing. You are a naturally gifted writer and wordsmith. And you have a lot of stories to tell from your rich inner life and loneliness (you said it.) But your too many stories about you may get in a way of tuning into someone else's story.

It's a sad truth, but most guys want to be admired