Saturday, August 01, 2015

The End of a Haira

Greetings all,

I recently buzzed my hair. I stopped colouring it funky colours like green, neon red, purple, blue and pink. I had been using the funky colours for about 1.5 years and prior to that, simply bleaching my hair to look like a blonde for 1 year. So in total my hair has been bleached for 2.5 years and I think in spite of my giving myself oil treatments the past few months, my hair quality has slightly decreased. I also felt I have done all the colours I wanted to (except rainbow) and was ready to take a break from dyeing my hair because it was effort but also it had annoying consequences like sometimes rubbing off on my clothes within the first week of being dyed. My neon red for example was really bad for this and I had to sleep with a towel so that the colour wouldn't rub off on my pillow case.

Now I only have 1/2 an inch of hair. My hair feels prickly and I feel rather naked and self conscious. I only had 2 options. Get a buzz or redye my hair to my natural colour. I felt the later was a form of cheating but also due to my hair quality decreasing, I felt I wanted to start fresh. Bleaching my hair had made my hair feel a bit straw like.

I don't regret my decision because it was a decision made out of practicality but I certainly don't like the consequences. I don't feel right. Having hair can be annoying and sometimes I felt like my hair was weighing me down but now that I have very little hair, I realize it's not my hair that weighs me down, it's simply the burden of carrying a head on my neck that weighs me down.

I feel like I'm a super hero who's lost her powers. When I first dyed my hair pink, I felt like a super hero, it was great. I feel the world needs more colour and so I tend to dress more in colour instead of wearing exclusively black, which is how alot of people dress in the work world.

It makes me sad and am back to my boring brown hair.
Now I am just an ordinary civilian.

No comments: